The Ley family owned a good deal of land in Combe Martin and elsewhere and had connections in court circles. Sir James Ley of Teffont Evais became, in 1625, the first Earl of Marlborough and Lord High Treasurer of England. His relative George Ley received a license from the Bishop of Exeter in 1677 to teach in a private school in Combe Martin and in 1688 he became overseer to the poor and joined what was then the local council that ruled the village. 
The Ley family owned a good deal of land in Combe Martin and elsewhere and had connections in court circles. Sir James Ley of Teffont Evais became, in 1625, the first Earl of Marlborough and Lord High Treasurer of England. His relative George Ley received a license from the Bishop of Exeter in 1677 to teach in a private school in Combe Martin and in 1688 he became overseer to the poor and joined what was then the local council that ruled the village. 
The Ley family owned a good deal of land in Combe Martin and elsewhere and had connections in court circles. Sir James Ley of Teffont Evais became, in 1625, the first Earl of Marlborough and Lord High Treasurer of England. His relative George Ley received a license from the Bishop of Exeter in 1677 to teach in a private school in Combe Martin and in 1688 he became overseer to the poor and joined what was then the local council that ruled the village. 
The Ley family owned a good deal of land in Combe Martin and elsewhere and had connections in court circles. Sir James Ley of Teffont Evais became, in 1625, the first Earl of Marlborough and Lord High Treasurer of England. His relative George Ley received a license from the Bishop of Exeter in 1677 to teach in a private school in Combe Martin and in 1688 he became overseer to the poor and joined what was then the local council that ruled the village. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. ACCEPT COOKIES MANAGE SETTINGS